The journey to the Middle Ages – 6 thematic tours of the Piast Trail
One of the most important elements of the Piast culture and tradition is the Piast Trail, which leads through the Greater Poland and Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodships. It is the trail leading through the beginnings of the formation of Poland as a nation. Historically, the country of the first Piasts had its rise on the fertile land around Gniezno, Ostrów Lednicki, and the present provincial capital of Greater Poland, Poznań.
The routes of the Piast Trail lead through the scenic landscapes and point out to the tourist the most important monuments of the country, dating back to the 10th, 11th, and 12th centuries. In addition to the traditional north-south or west-east Trail routes, one can also decide on an even more interesting thematic tour and choose one of the suggested routes:
- Biographical – namely, the Piast Game of Thrones, a trail showing notable members of the Piast Dynasty, their accomplishments, politics, which commemorates the profiles of the first rulers of Poland.
- The beginnings of Christianity – the trail answering the questions of the sources of Christianity and such a strong religious cult in Poland. The Baptism of Poland, the first bishopric, the cult of the first Saint, all of it took place on the Piast Trail and will let those who are interested become more familiar with the topic of Christianity.
- The Slavic and Piast myths – a route leading through the oldest Polish tales and legends regarding the rulers.
- The wars between the Piasts and Knights of the Cross – the route leads through the 14th century disjointed Poland, which was united by Władysław I Łokietek after many years of battles for domination with the Teutonic Order.
- The histories of the belowground – a route through the archeological discoveries begins in Biskupin, the first and the oldest discovered settlement in Poland. In the reservation, one can see the old construction and customs of the societies from before the establishment of the statehood.
- The Piast Ladies – histories of the nine wives and daughters of the most important Piasts, their daily lives by rulers’ side, as well as the influence on the politics of the country is a fascinating journey at the side of women from thousand of years before.
Each of the trails is an extraordinary experience for the tourists from Poland as well as from the outside of the country. They help to understand Poland’s fascinating and turbulent beginnings, and it draws closer the mists of history and customs to the contemporary observers. The Piast Trail is a mandatory element of the exploration of our region, which with the help of castles, churches, and monuments, tells a story of the dawn of the Polish country.
Autor: Aleksandra Majchrowska// blog.cjo.pl